Winter driving can sometimes be intimidating, especially when conditions are snowy or icy. If road conditions are dangerous, consider making alternate travel arrangements or postponing your trip until conditions improve.
Follow these steps to help keep yourself safe and collision-free during the winter driving season.
Step 1: Make sure that your vehicle is prepared for winter driving.
- Winter tires are a good option, as they will provide greater traction under snowy or icy conditions.
- Keep a snow brush/scraper in your car, along with possible emergency items such as a lightweight shovel, battery jumper cables, and a flashlight.
- Make sure that mirrors, all windows, and the top of your vehicle, are free of snow or frost before getting onto the road.
Step 2: Drive smoothly and slowly
- Don’t make any abrupt turns or stops when driving. Doing so will often cause your vehicle to lose control and skid.
- Driving too quickly is the main cause of winter collisions. Be sure to drive slowly and carefully on snow and ice covered roads.
Step 3: Don’t tailgate.
- Tailgating becomes much worse in winter weather. Stopping takes much longer on snowy and icy roads than on dry pavement, so be sure to leave enough room between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
Step 4: Brake before making turns.
- Brake slowly to reduce speed before entering turns. Once you have rounded the corner you can accelerate again.
Step 5: Lights On.
- Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists.
Step 6: No Cruise Control.
- Never use cruise control if conditions are snowy, icy, or wet, because if your car hydroplanes, your car will try to accelerate and you may lose control of your vehicle.
Step 7: Don’t “pump” the brakes.
- If your vehicle is equipped with an anti-lock braking system (ABS), do not “pump” the brakes. Apply constant pressure and let the system do its work.
Step 8: Pay attention.
- Manoeuvres are more difficult to make in the snow. Be sure to anticipate what your next move is going to be to give yourself lots of room for turns and stopping.